Sunday, February 20, 2011

the twitter mystery: who's important?


It's always been intriguing to me: who on twitter is really important?  I've spent time hunting for the people who are top influencers in various topics that I'm interested in: PR, fashion, and leadership.  Compare it to going on a scavenger hunt: finding clue after clue and tweet after tweet to see where all the news and latest developments originate.

After reading articles about twitter and influencers, I realized that I participate in this social revolution every day. My information comes from people I know, their information comes from people they know and people their friends know. But on twitter, I can go straight to the source and hear the news when the rest of the world does.  Then I can also find people who follow and interact with the user in order to discuss the news, development, or big event that was just unveiled.  Not only can I follow fashion brands like Oscar de la Renta and DKNY, but through their tweets and interaction I have been able to identify widely unknown (yet important) bloggers, buyers, people, and businesses by whom the big brands are influenced.

It's kind of cool feeling like you are part of the brand, industry, or business because of their tweets.  It's fun to look at your twitter feed and lists and know that you are on the cutting edge of what's news in the world.  I think twitter, social media, and the internet have changed how we find out news for the better. You can find out anything through following the right people on twitter.  After all, that's exclusively how I'm finding material for my original posts on this blog!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment